Saturday 25 April 2009

My First Two Weeks...


Here are a few things I have learnt whilst in Korea so far....

1. Korean's love to stare at 'foreigners', the best way to counter this is either to stare back or more comically say 'do I have something on my face!?' They'll soon turn their visor covered faces away.

2. The food here isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. My minimal research into Korean food led me to believe that I might spend a year eating Burger King, Mc D's and KFC. At the point of writing I have yet to resort to any of the above.

3. No matter how many times you tell the kids the correct way to form a sentence, the next day they'll say the same thing again. Whilst doing the register we have to ask the kids how they are and recieve responses like... "I am happy today because after Talkster play computer games", even after you write the correct sentence structure on the board, the following day you are likely to recieve a response of "Today me sad rain". Yes that's right, you are sad because it is raining today!

4. The competetive streak in Korean's young and old runs deep. The old ones will try and shove you off the train, steal your seat on a bus and aren't afraid to invade your personal space! The young ones will rush their work and then say 'Me one, me won' to which they will then hear me say "Am I first?!" or even more likely 'Me finish, me finish". "I have finished" It's not that hard is it!

5. Patience pays off. I have been wanting to travel and see the world for a few years now but haven't had the oppertunity to do so until now. Although it's rough leaving my friends behind, computers might just be the best invention of all time. Not only can I try and keep track of what is going on back home but I can also keep in touch with the people I left behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment