Monday 20 April 2009

The beginning of my adventure

After a horrendous night's sleep, I managed to drag myself out of bed at about 9am to go view some lessons at Talkster. Not only do I have no idea that day it is, I think my body is badly jetlagged but also not tired at the same time (yeah, I'm well aware that makes no sense!)

Kindergarten, which I will be teaching classes in starts at 10 am which isn't such a bad thing. I can deal with not having to get up to early and not having to travel way away from where I am living to work! The kids in kindergarten are so cute, to say that they don't speak English very well they make a lot of noise though.
They get to 'kiddy university' as it's known at 10am and if there life isn't enjoyable enough without having to deal with things like moving countries and settling in they spend most of the morning playing. The kids love Uno despite not really knowing the rules properley they can make a game last a good 30 minutes!

Charlied guided me through some of the things he has been teaching them and also what their previous teacher Tom had been doing. The kids warmed to be pretty quickly actually and within about an hour they were hanging off my arms and legs, I did try and tell them I wasn't a tree but I guess even that gets lost in translation. After a lunch with the wee 'uns of what looks like chicken nuggets we had some time to ourselves before starting back at 12.50 for an hour. Most of the afternoon is spent dancing and watching videos so this class certainly seems like something I can deal with.

The afternoon was a little bit different as I have classes at 3pm, 4pm and 5pm. As with most ESL classes the kids are only subjected to 50 minutes of English at once and although I didn't do much actual teaching in any of them today I got a fair idea about what they are learning. It's going to be strange to be left in a classroom by myself, with a bunch of kids that don't speak my language or understand the English accent. If that wasn't daunting enough I actually have to teach them things too!

We tried to go to a Middle Eastern restaurant for tea this evening but it was closed for some reason so we ended up going for some galbi somewhere else. Apparently Charlie and Kevin went in there before and were wowing them with their English, they seemed to be bringing us plenty of food which is always good. I'm impressed by the so far cheap Korean prices of eating out. I only brought about £150 with me in cash and at this rate it will hopefully last for a few weeks. One of the primary missions of coming to Korea was so that I could save some money and on the food side of things it looks like I will be doing that!

Oh well, I guess it's time to sign off for the night and prepare for my first day of teaching in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment