Thursday 14 January 2010

Happy Birthday to Me....

...OK, so it wasn't quite so bad that I had to wish myself a Happy Birthday, but just like Christmas and New Year 2009, it was certainly strange experiencing my 25th birthday in a different country.

Thanks to everyone who sent me messages and cards, it made me not feel quite so isolated from my family and friends on the opposite side of the world. Like so many things to date in Korea, it was a surreal experience 'celebrating' a birthday over here.

I've never been one for massive plans, but spending the day at work wasn't exactly the ideal birthday choice had I had one! I told most of my kids that it was my birthday, and most of them have the vocabulary to say 'Happy Birthday', the obvious question was 'Teacher, how old are you?' but considering most of the classes I teach don't know anything past the numbers 1-20 they weren't able to guess very effectively.

Aside from my birthday, my first full week back at work has been pretty uneventful. We're still struggling with the snow over here, and the last few evenings, the temperature has dropped to between -10 and -20.....

On Wednesday I took the kindergarten class I teach to get their 'Graduation' photographs taken. I probably haven't mentioned it as I didn't realise myself until Sunday evening but I only have about a month and a half left teaching the kids in the morning before they have finished their year in kindergarten, thankfully for them, not all taught by me.
I think it's pretty traditional within the 'American' culture of the schools in Korea to have pictures taken for when they 'graduate' the kindergarten and my kids actually got some really good photos taken, as well as a couple of group shots which I hope to get a hold of.

With the weather pretty frozen outside, most anything we do at the weekend will probably involve being inside. But obviously I will update you on Sunday with exactly what I got up to.....

Just a quick not this evening (and a couple of days late) to let you know about my birthday celebrations, or lack there of.

Take care

Ben x

A painting in a museum hears more ridiculous opinions than anything else in the world.
Edmond de Goncourt
French artist & novelist (1822 - 1896)

No comments:

Post a Comment