Sunday 10 January 2010

First Week Back at Work, Visitors and an Avatar Repeat...

....Well it wasn't quite a full week back at work, but after the snowy fun of Monday, Tuesday represented my first day back teaching since the Christmas break.

Because of the snow there had been over the weekend and due to the temperature which has been around in the air for the last three weeks, school was a bit fragmented, specially on Tuesday when I didn't have class in the morning, and many of the students in the afternoon didn't turn up because of the weather.

The school is on a bit of a hill and with it not being a main road either no one had come out to clear the snow, meaning that cars were finding it pretty difficult to get up and down there with the ice and snow which had landed on Monday. Due to this, the school decided it would be too dangerous to run busses on Tuesday when the snow had piled up, and only kids who live within walking distance of the school showed up.
In my morning class for the rest of the week I only had three students, the three boys, so I basically spent the few days I had with them making sure they hadn't forgotten all their English!

As the week went on I managed to slip back into the rhythm of teaching and in the end the break served me well in assisting me to make it through the first week. Now I just have to try dealing with a full week for the first time in a while....!

The weekend has been reasonably quiet for the three of us. There's snow still piled up on some of the roads, and because it's so damn cold there wasn't much danger of us heading out anywhere exciting this weekend as might not make it back and/or turn into ice cubes.
Instead it's been a quiet one which mostly involved recovering from actually having to do something for a full day during the week.

Unfortunately this means I don't have much exciting to write about, but I still wanted to blog anyway to let you know what little has been going on.
On saturday I did get some good news however which is that before I leave Korea in April I will be being visited by a couple of my friends, Luke and James, who I went to university with.

The pair of them had speculated about coming over a long time ago, but they finally booked their flights in light of my persuasion and will be spending a couple of weeks with me in the middle of February. Something I am very pleased about.

Today, I also did something for the first time in my life.....went to see the same movie for the second time! I commented a couple of weeks ago about how fabulous I thought 'Avatar' was and today I went to see it again with Charlie and some of his students as he had promised to take them to the movies before Christmas as an end of year treat but never got round to it. I have to admit that the movie, even though I knew what was going to happen, still amazed me the second time around, and I am still very much looking forward to seeing it in 3D or IMAX, if there's ever any seats available to go and see it that is.

I hope that all back home are taking care in the snow. I feel like I am missing out, until I step out my front door and realise that it's just as cold and just as miserable out there. Hopefully some warmer temperstures are on their way.....

Take care

Ben xxxx

Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures.
Jessamyn West

No comments:

Post a Comment