Sunday 19 July 2009

WA Bar, Norebang debuting and Monkey Beach

ONLY one week to go left before Talkster vacation, not that I am counting or anything, and I have to be honest and say that the last three days may have just been the most enjoyable (and random) since my arrival in Korea!

As per norm, the week travelled by at some pace and it was Friday before we all knew it. We were planning to meet our friend Marie for some dinner but she called it off after damaging herself so we headed to our usual galbi restaurant for dinner with Haji and then decided to check out another bar called 'The WA bar' which is about five minutes away from where we live.

Haji had mentioned it to us before but as yet we hadn't managed to venture there. By the end of the evening it was a decision which we were glad we made!
After a few drinks we made friends with a couple of people sitting at the table next to us, a Korean girl named Emily and a guy from Ohio named Alan. We chatted to them for a couple of hours and just as me and Kevin were thinking about heading home, Emily decided to 'challenge' Charlie and the rest of us into visiting a Norebang with her. I know there is a big stereotype in Asia, paticularily Japan, that people in the country love karaoke. Korea is no different in conforming to that stereotype as a norebang is a personalised karaoke room and they are about as frequent as neon cross symbols around the Suwon area.

Reluctantly we agreed to on the premise that we'd give it a few minutes and see what it was like....well those few minutes turned into two hours and possibly the most entertaining 120 minutes of my life! Anyone who knows me will know that my voice wasn't exactly built for singing and I have the musical talent of a sheep but it's amazing how much you are willing to make a fool out of yourself in front of strangers in a foreign country!

Unfortunately for us Emily was actually a really good singer and in terms of talent she put us to shame! What the three of us lack in talent, we make up for in comedic value and effort! Charlie got the party started early with his version of Boyz to Men's 'End of the Road'. That song has taken on an entirely new meaning to me and as Kevin agreed Charlie's version only enhanced what it already a great song! We did try and get him to sing another Boyz to Men classic but he refused, instead deciding to form a trio with me and Kevin to sing Queen's 'Bohemian Rapsody'.

Many other classic tracks came out in our singing room session including 'Celebration', 'Take it Easy' and Charlie spoiled us with his version of Prince's 'Kiss'! We finished the night of in style with me crooning to 'play that funk music' before heading back to Hwaseo-dong with sore cheeks and voices from both singing, and in my case laughing!

We agreed to meet up with Emily again the next day as she wanted to take us to a bar in Apujong called 'Monkey Beach'. The three of us decided to start of the day with nine holes of golf at Screen Golf Zone. We played Pebble Beach in California and amazingly after double parring the first two holes I scraped myself down to finish second with a score of +12. Kevin continued his record of winning everytime we've played with an outrageous round of +4!

We rendezvouzed back at Suwon station at about 7 where we met Emily and made your way to Monkey Beach. We stopped off for a bit of food first and met one of her friends who is learning to be a singer and dancer. Thankfully I got him in the picture at the top of the page so if he ever becomes famous I'll be able to say that I ate noodles with him whilst he was a nobody!

Monkey Beach was a basement club that we probably would never have found if we'd had tried to navigate our way there alone and from the beginning it was pretty packed. Thankfully it broke Korean club tradition by not filling it's playlist with K-pop garbage and the three of us spent the next four hours dancing our behinds off on tables to anything that was being played! Sadly I missed Charlie doing the 'Stankey Leg' but the three of us had a throughly enjoyable time!

We ventured home at about 1.30 and got back to the station at about 2.15 in a cab. This morning I spent most of the time catching up on my sleep and after sitting on the computer for a little while at about 11am, I decided that my body needed further re-couperation so I returned to bed! This afternoon me and Charlie went out to get some dinner and then met up with Kevin to go to the movies.
Unfortunately there wasn't anything decent on offer with neither of us wanting to see Harry Potter 6, Transformers 2 (again) and a bunch of Korean films which we wouldn't understand anyway so me and Charlie ventured off into Namul for a walk and he brought some new PS3 games which we spent the evening playing.

So that was my weekend and as much as I dread how fast sunday travels buy I only have five days until our vacation so I am feeling on top of the world right now! This time next week I will more than likely be lying on a sun drenched beach in Phuket! And I cannot wait!

Time to sign off now, I'm feeling pretty tired and should probably have headed to bed a few hours ago!

Until next time.... Take care!x

No comments:

Post a Comment