Sunday 2 August 2009

Back in Suwon and a Return to 'Normality'


WELL everyone, you'll be glad to know that me and Kevin made it back from Thailand successfully this morning. We flew from Phuket Airport yesterday afternoon at about 6pm and had a three hour layover in Bangkok before we flew from there back to Korea.

Arriving back at Incheon Airport this morning was a strange feeling. Most notably because I'd slept for about two hours on the five hour flight between Thailand and Korea but also after all the beaches, sand and sunshine we'd seen over the last week this morning it was back to hazy sunshine, smog and the concrete jungle that is Korea.
It wasn't really a feeling of depression as I'm sure the two of us were ready for home after a week of adventuring but I guess reality bites when you have been on a tropical island and them come back to a city.

We caught a taxi home from the airport which cost us an arm and a leg but we were both too tired to care so we trundled our way from Hwaseo Station back to Talkster. I wasn't feeling very tired by the time I came into my room but I laid down for a bit and ended up sleeping for about four hours until I was woken up by the emergency alarm I'd set to prevent me from sleeping through the rest of the day and then not at all this evening.

I've spent most of the day washing clothes and putting things back where they should be. I also did a little room re-arrangement and I'm pretty happy with the third re-allignment I've made in three months so hopefully I won't have to go through the problem is sweeping up a ton us dust which obviously wasn't cleaned up before I arrived.

Once Charlie woke up we headed towards Suwon Yuk to get some food and discussed what we'd spent the time doing on vacation. I was disappointed that he wasn't able to come as I think the three of us together in Thailand would have only multiplied the comedy but hopefully if we're going away at Christmas, he'll be involved.

Spending most of the afternoon playing on the Playstation we then vetured to get some galbi for dinner, but our restaurant was shut so we headed back to Suwon station and got some Dak Galbi from the usual place. It was good to get some Korean food back inside my stomach as that is one thing I have definately missed during my time away. It was a wierd experience walking around with bright lights shining everywhere and after a week where everything has been so laid back it's difficult to become acustomed once more to regular life.

While we were standing at the bus stop waiting to come back home, there was a food service for homeless people as their sometimes is on an evening and we were quite shocked to see uproar break out when one homeless guy wasn't allowed to go for seconds (we presume this as not speaking Korean it could have been over something else). The guy was pretty drunk though and even brandished and swung a knife at three of the people who were working there. It's funny that people here just stood around watching in amazement as this guy not three but four times tired to stab somebody, if that happened in the UK or the US, I'm sure somebody would have jumped (infact if it was the US more than likely he would have been shot.)

Just reminds me of the contrast I have left behind to what I have returned to. Not once did I see a drunk person in Thailand but already within 24 hours of being in Korea I've seen plenty roaming the streets! Very strange.

Anyway enough of my delirious ramblings. Please do read what I have written for the last week while I have been staying in Thailand. Because I didn't have a computer I wasn't able to post the stuff online but i wrote it at the time and then posted it before I wrote this so it should hopefully helpt you keep up with that was going on.

I'm hoping to put all of my photos up this week on Facebook and on my photo gallery so feel free to take a look. I'll probably post when they are all up there just incase I don't get a chance to mail a few of them out.

Time for some well deserved sleep I think.

Take care

Ben x

No comments:

Post a Comment